It grew to become much more than that.
When I interviewed the women, many thought their lives were very ordinary; that they had not achieved anything special. The more they reflected on their lives however, the more they realised they had actually achieved many things.
During this process, their whole demeanour changed. Their spirits lifted. They felt proud of themselves for all they had been through to get to this place in their life.
Later, when looking through the many photos of themselves in different outfits, at different angles and expressing different moods, once again I could see them starting to change. Finally they were able to see themselves as the world sees them. It was incredibly moving for some as they started loving who they truly are – perhaps for the first time in many years – or for the first time ever!
Then, once the women’s gorgeous videos and photos began to appear on social media, it brought another wave of joy and celebration. Friends and family left positive, loving comments, not only about each woman’s appearance, but about what an amazing person they are and how much they mean to them.
It has been a transformational experience for all of us
As I saw each women transform, something inside me changed also. I am in my mid 50’s and I found I could relate to every woman. There was a little piece of me in each of their stories – the fears, the doubts, the challenges the joys and the successes.
I realised that my gift to these women went way beyond simply taking beautiful photographs. It went beyond the experience of makeup and hairstyling and wardrobe (even though that is all very special.)
It is the gift of showing women who they really are. It is about celebrating our talents, creativity, resourcefulness, strength, compassionate and more! It has been a blessing for me to have met (and to continue to meet) such inspiring women every day. Now I want to honour, share and celebrate the journey of all mature aged women… including you.
Come help me gather and share these stories. YOUR stories!
We all know women who do remarkable things in the world. But what about the woman next door, your friend, your sister, mother, aunty. I want to tell their stories. Some may have done incredible things in the world, but I know for sure all of them have done incredible things in their own lives and in the lives of those around them.
Bring me your stories of difficult times you have overcome (or are still going through,) adventures you have had and lessons you have learned. Let’s talk about the fun times and the sad times, the rebellious moments and the achievements, the memories and your dreams for the future.
- Create a supportive community for women over 50
- Remind ourselves that beauty doesn’t diminish with age
- Shine the light on our character, wisdom and spirit
- Collect and share stories about what it means to be an older woman in today’s world
- Stand tall and appreciate every scar, every line and every grey hair (or purple one!)
- Inspire, encourage and support one another
- We’ll create a movement that celebrates the beauty, wisdom and worth of women over 50.
This blog is for ALL women, not just those who have been photographed by me.
Here’s how you can get involved
- Email me your story. It doesn’t matter if it’s a paragraph, a page or a whole book!
- Send me stories of other inspiring women in the world.
- Apply here to participate in my 50over50 photography project.
- Visit my website to see the images and read the stories of women just like you.
- Join my 50 over 50 group on Facebook and follow me on Instagram.
- Tell your friends and family and help spread the word!
If you have ideas on how I can create a global movement that includes the stories of women over 50 from all corners of the world, please contact me. I would love to chat.